Skip to main content

Energy Efficiency advice

Find ways to save energy in your home

The Government has set up a national service to assist property owners to obtain recommendations for home improvements that could make a property cheaper to heat and keep warm. For each recommendation you will see an estimated cost of making the improvement, how much you could save on your bills, and the next steps if you wish to go ahead.

Visit the Find ways to save energy in your home page of the GOV.UK website and answer questions online, or call 0800 444 202.

To find out more about current energy efficiency funding and schemes, please contact our Private Sector Housing team.

Warm homes assistance

Our Warm Homes assistance is available up to £7,000 for any person living in a cold home with a diagnosed condition of:

  • cardiovascular disease;
  • respiratory disease;
  • pulmonary disease;
  • mental health issues;
  • other multiple long-term conditions and disability

There is no requirement for a financial assessment however a form will be provided for a health professional to complete. The works that can be undertaken include boiler replacement and the provision of central heating.

This grant is available to owner-occupiers and tenants of private sector landlords. If the applicant is an owner-occupier a local land charge will be placed on the property for the full amount of funding (less the first £500.00 which is not repayable) and will need to be repaid if the property is sold.

Energy Efficiency Assistance

Our Energy Efficiency assistance is available to help fund energy efficiency measures up to a value of £ 3,500.00 in properties with an EPC rating of D, E, F or G.

Loft and cavity wall insulation are prioritised, and once these measures have been undertaken (where possible), we then consider further measures such as heating and hot water provision and repairs, and the replacement of windows and doors.

If you are an owner occupier and you are awarded an Energy efficiency assistance grant, a local land charge will be placed on the property for the full amount of assistance paid out and will need to be repaid if the property is sold, transferred, or assignment to another person.

Information on the other grants and assistance provided by the council can be found here TWBC Housing Assistance Policy.

Great British Insulation Scheme

If you are a homeowner, landlord or tenant, you may be able to get free or cheaper insulation to reduce your home’s energy bills. If you live in a home with an energy performance certificate (EPC) of D to G, or your home is in Council Tax bands A-D you may be eligible for support.

To check your eligibility and to apply for the scheme please follow this link to the website Apply for support from the Great British Insulation Scheme - GOV.UK (

Solar Together Kent

We are working in partnership with Kent County Council to deliver Solar Together Kent which is a solar panel and battery storage group-purchase scheme. It allows residents and small businesses to install solar panels on their homes and businesses at an affordable price.