Skip to main content

Problems with your home

If you are a tenant living in housing association accommodation or other social housing and experiencing disrepair or other problems in your home, please contact your landlord in the first instance, and ask them to remedy the matter. Do give them time to address and resolve the problem. If you continue to experience difficulties, please contact the Private Sector Housing team for advice and assistance.

If you are experiencing problems with rats, mice or insects, our pest and infestations page offers advice on what course of action you can take. You may be entitled to free treatment if you are in receipt of certain benefits.

If you believe a neighbour may be the source of a problem, you can make a report and our Environmental Protection team can investigate.

We can also take action in the event of drains or sewers becoming blocked, please see our drains and sewers page for more information.

If you are experiencing other problems and are a tenant in a property, please check our page outlining the responsibilities of landlords.

Report a concern about supported housing

If you're not happy with the quality of the accommodation or support you have received from your supported housing provider or landlord, you should raise these concerns directly with your provider first.

If you need to raise your concerns about your supported housing to the council, you can report these to the Supported Housing Improvement Programme (SHIP) team at Medway Council.

The SHIP team are able to respond to complaints about supported housing provided in any of the following areas:

  • Tunbridge Wells borough
  • Medway borough
  • Maidstone borough
  • Swale borough