Skip to main content

Scrap metal

Every scrap metal dealer is required to have a licence. It is a criminal offence to operate without one.

There are two types of licence you can apply for:

  • scrap metal sites
  • scrap metal collections

Please see the Local Government Association guidance notes for full details of guidelines and restrictions.

You must keep your records for three years and allow the council or police to inspect your premises and records if asked.

Apply online

Applications for either a scrap metal site or a scrap metal collectors licence can be made online.

Apply now

Apply by post

If you wish to post your application please complete the application form for a scrap metal licence and return it to:

Licensing Partnership
P.O. Box 182
Kent TN13 1GP

You will need to pay the correct fee.

Ways to pay

You can pay by credit or debit card over the phone 01732 227 004.

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)

The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) is preparing to provide basic disclosure checks for England and Wales.

From 31 January 2018 if you need a basic check for a job in England and Wales, you should apply to Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).

If you are an individual applying for your own basic check you will be able to use the new online application route.

It is important that you apply to the right organisation for your basic check, so that the correct Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) rules are applied. There is a risk of legal action if incorrect ROA rules are applied and impact a recruitment decision.

If you have any questions, please contact

Renew your licence

You will need to contact us when your licence is due for renewal.

You will need to pay a fee to renew your licence.

Changes to your licence

You need to let us know about changes such as your name, address, change of business premises or if you have stopped dealing with scrap metal.

You may need to pay a fee for certain changes.

Contact us:

Please see our fees and charges page for further details.

View our fees and charges

Some documents on this page may not be in an accessible format. If you require any documents in an accessible format, please complete our online form to request them.