Skip to main content

Temporary event notices

Make an application

You will need to apply for a permitted Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if:

  • you wish to lawfully carry out licensable activities at premises which do not have a premises licence or club premises certificate
  • the activity or the times at which it is to be carried out are not specified on an existing premises licence or club premises certificate

Licensable activities (subject to certain exceptions) are:

  • the sale and supply of alcohol
  • regulated entertainment (that is, music, singing or dancing)
  • provision of late night refreshment

The guidance notes (below) provide further information about TENs including the licensable activities, application process and fee, limitations of use and who can object to a TEN. You should consider this guidance before making the application.

Apply now

Applying for a Temporary Event Notice

If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event in the areas covered by the three Licensing Authorities that form the Licensing Partnership e.g. Maidstone Borough Council, Sevenoaks District Council and Tunbridge Wells Borough, you must give a temporary event notice (TEN) to the Licensing Partnership as soon as possible and in any case no later than ten working days before the event. Please ensure that you indicate to which authority’s area you are applying. Please note that the working day does not include the day of submission of the notice or the day of the event.

In exceptional circumstances, you may submit a limited number of Late Temporary Event Notices which can be submitted up to five working days but no sooner than nine working days before the event. Please note that the working day does not include the day of submission of the notice or the day of the event.

Failure to submit your Notice in time will mean the Temporary Event Notice is invalid and your fee will not be refunded. If the premises, where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities, applications must be made to each.

Your event must involve no more than 499 people, including staff, at any one time.

You must be 18 years or older to apply for a TEN and can give a maximum of five TENs per year.

If you are a Personal Licence holder, you can apply for a maximum of 50 TENs per year.

From 1 January 2010 Sevenoaks District Council, Tunbridge Wells Borough Council and Maidstone Borough Council formed the Licensing Partnership to process and issue licensing applications. The Licensing Partnership has a central administration based at Sevenoaks, with Licensing Officers located at each local licensing authority, together with admin support to deal with people visiting the Gateways and reception at Sevenoaks District Council.

For more guidance, please see our Temporary Event Notice FAQs page.

Some documents on this page may not be in an accessible format. If you require any documents in an accessible format, please complete our online form to request them.