Skip to main content

Personal licence

A personal licence authorises a specified person to supply alcohol or allow the supply of alcohol at a premises which has a valid premises licence.

Personal licences are needed to supervise the sale of alcohol in any premises – including pubs, off licences, restaurants and hotels.

There is no longer a requirement to renew your personal licence. A change in the legislation means that the personal licence granted to you continues until it is revoked or surrendered. However, there is still a requirement to notify us of a change of name/address.

You can apply and pay for your licence as well as notify us of changes online, see below for details.

Local Authorities must protect funds they handle and so the information you have provided on this form may be used to detect and prevent fraud. The information may also be shared for the same purposes, with other organisations which handle public funds including the Audit Commission to be used as part of the National Fraud Initiative. Your personal data will also be shared with the local authorities, which make up the Licensing Partnership, for the purpose of processing your licensing application. Your personal data will not be used for any other purpose without your prior consent, except as permitted under the Data Protection Act 1988.
You must apply to the council for the area where you live, not the council area where you work.

Apply online

Once you have submitted the form and fee online you will need to send us the following:

  • basic disclosure certificate
  • personal licence qualification
  • two passport size photographs

The fee for this licence is £37.

Start a licence application

Apply by post

You will need to download and print the application form and send us:

  • the completed personal licence application form - please read our guidance notes as these explain the requirements you must stick to
  • an accredited licensing qualification certificate
  • a basic disclosure form, this is a record of any previous convictions. There is a fee payable to Disclosure Scotland for this service. All applicants would also be expected to make a clear statement as to whether or not they have been convicted outside England and Wales of a relevant offence or an equivalent foreign offence
  • two passport type photographs

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)

The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) is preparing to provide basic disclosure checks for England and Wales.

From 31 January 2018 if you need a basic check for a job in England and Wales, you should apply to Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).

If you are an individual applying for your own basic check you will be able to use the new online application route.

It is important that you apply to the right organisation for your basic check, so that the correct Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) rules are applied. There is a risk of legal action if incorrect ROA rules are applied and impact a recruitment decision.

If you have any questions, please contact

Request a DBS check

To tell us that you have changed your address or name please complete our online form.

Report a change

If either your licence card, paper licence or both have been lost or stolen you must report this to the police and to us. To get a replacement licence or parts please contact the licensing team.

Please include details as to what has happened and return the parts of your licence which have not been lost or stolen.

Some documents on this page may not be in an accessible format. If you require any documents in an accessible format, please complete our online form to request them.