Skip to main content

Filthy and verminous premises

The Environmental Protection team can deal with filthy and/or verminous premises.

Where any premises are in a condition of disrepair or serious lack of cleanliness, then the council can take formal action.

A notice is usually served on the occupier and the landlord or building owner.

We try to work closely with the council's Private Sector Housing team, housing associations, and social services in dealing with these cases as the people concerned are often vulnerable and need help.

If thorough cleansing of the dwelling is needed, the owner will need to engage the services of a specialist contractor.

If the works are not done the council can do works in default using specialist contractors and re-charge the property owner and or occupier.

Articles that can be saved may require either steam cleaning or disinfection by an approved chemical disinfectant. Otherwise articles will be removed and destroyed.