Equality and diversity
We want people to have the opportunity to reach their potential and access services that meet their needs. We will enable this through our roles as a community leader, service provider and employer. Under the Equality Act (2010) we are required to prepare and publish one or more objectives.
Our equality objectives for 2016-2020 are:
- As a community leader, we will advance equality of opportunity by mitigating the potential impacts of welfare reform on 16-24 year olds who require our housing services.
- As a service provider, we will advance equality of opportunity by investigating whether we can increase the number of people who are able to easily access the information they need, and satisfactorily complete the transactions they require, on the council’s website.
- As a community leader and a service provider, we will foster good relations and advance equality of opportunity by increasing participation in our heritage, arts and culture programme for people with disabilities, younger and older age groups, ethnic groups, religious groups and lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people.
- As an employer, we will advance equality of opportunity by encouraging a broader range of people to apply for council vacancies.
Under the Equality Act (2010) we are required to publish information to show how we comply with the Public Sector Equality Duty.
Our equality policy statement and objectives includes:
- information about our population
- information about the protected characteristics of people who are affected by our policies and practices
- information about the protected characteristics of our employees
Equality Advisory and Support Service
The Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS) is a national advice and support helpline for individuals who have experienced incidents of discrimination. More information is available on their website.
Some documents on this page may not be in an accessible format. If you require any documents in an accessible format, please complete our online form to request them.