Frequently asked questions
The bulky waste service is for the collection of large items which cannot be put out with your normal refuse collection. It is for residential use only. Each booking can include up to four items (only one fridge, freezer, or fridge freezer per booking).
You can book one free collection every 90 days if you receive:
- Band 1 Council Tax reduction scheme and are of working age
- Council Tax reduction scheme and are of non-working age
You will be asked to provide your National Insurance number and benefit reference number when booking. If you require another collection within the same 90 day period you will be charged for it.
To make sure our collection crew can pick up your items:
- Put all your items out together at the front of your property and as close to the kerbside as possible.
- Put your items out before 7am on the day of collection, or put items out the night before.
- Items must be emptied of any contents, for example, a fridge should not contain any food items. If an item has not been emptied it may be left, and no refund issued.
- If you are unable to put your items at the front of your property, please let us know when you book the collection. Please note we are unable to enter any buildings to collect items.
- Make sure all the items can be seen by our collection crew.
- Heavily soiled items must be covered to protect the crew handling them. Uncovered items will be left and no refund issued.
- Each item presented for collection must be of a size, shape and weight as to be easily carried by two people. Excessively heavy items will be left and no refund issued.
- Any items that are made of glass or contain broken glass or similar sharp materials will not be collected. If on collection items contain glass or broken glass all items may be rejected for collection and no refund issued.
- Wherever possible soft furnishings should be covered to prevent rain soaking them which will affect the weight of the items. Waterlogged items may not be taken, and no refund issued.
- Fridges and freezers must be empty of all food and other items.
To change the date of your collection or cancel, please call us on 01892 526121 at least two working days before your collection.
Refunds will only be given if your collection is cancelled at least two working days in advance.
Once a booking is made, the items listed cannot be changed. If you need to change the items, you will need to cancel the original collection and make a new booking.
The bulky waste collection service is for household items only, not for garden waste.
There are local charities who accept unwanted items that are in a good condition.
Any items donated must meet current health and safety regulations.
|Hospice in the Weald||01892 536442|
|YMCA Furniture Warehouse||01892 615612|
|British Heart Foundation||01892 628600|
You can also advertise goods online using Freecycle.
Freecycle is a non-profit website where you can offer unwanted items to other people for free. Freecycle is not associated with Tunbridge Wells Borough Council.
There are also selling sites on other social media platforms.
Household Waste Recycling Centre
Bulky waste can be taken to the Kent County Council (KCC) site at North Farm in Tunbridge Wells. Check the KCC website for the type of waste accepted and booking arrangements.
Waste collection companies
If you make arrangements with a waste collection company to collect and dispose of bulky waste on your behalf, you have a responsibility to check that the contractor has a valid Waste Carrier’s Licence. You could be held responsible and fined if this waste is fly-tipped or not disposed of correctly. You should also receive a Waste Transfer Note giving details of where your waste will be disposed.
We can only collect items that are included in the list below:
- air conditioning unit
- artificial Christmas tree
- bed base
- bed frame
- bedside cabinet
- bench (wooden)
- black sacks (up to four)
- cabinet (free standing)
- carpet (one roll) maximum length two meters and diameter 30cm when rolled
- CD player
- chair - recliner
- chalk board
- chest freezer
- chest of drawers
- clock (freestanding)
- clothes airer
- coat stand
- coffee table (no glass)
- computer and monitor
- computer printer (domestic use size)
- corner sofa
- cross trainer
- deep fryer
- dining chair
- dining table
- dressing table
- DVD player
- electric heater
- elliptical trainer
- exercise or weights bench
- exercise bike
- filing cabinet
- folding bed
- folding chair
- folding table
- freezer (emptied of food)
- fridge (emptied of food)
- fridge freezer (emptied of food)
- garden bench
- garden table and chairs (up to four chairs)
- gas heater (free standing)
- golf clubs (set)
- internal door (no glass)
- ironing board
- lamp (ceiling or wall mounted)
- lamp (floor)
- lamp (table)
- lawn mower
- lino (one roll) maximum length two meters and diameter 30cm when rolled
- office chair
- portable heater
- rotary washing line
- rowing machine
- rubbish bin
- shelves (up to 4)
- shelving unit
- side table
- sofa (2, 3, or 4+ seater)
- sofa bed
- spin dryer
- sun bed
- table tennis table
- tumble dryer
- underlay (one roll) maximum length two meters and diameter 30cm when rolled
- washing machine
- water butt
- window blind
We are sorry but we do not collect the following items:
- car parts
- window units/mirrors
- pianos (in any form)
- any glazed furniture
- hazardous waste
- commercial waste
- items which can not be safely lifted by two waste crew members
- any items not included in the list of items we collect