The Council has enacted its business continuity plans and is redeploying staff to priority services.

Please check our Coronavirus updates page for the latest information about Council services.

Partnership Services

What is the Mid-Kent Improvement Partnership/Mid-Kent Services?

The Mid-Kent Improvement Partnership (MKIP) was formed in 2008 and involves, Maidstone Borough Council, Swale Borough Council and Tunbridge Wells Borough Council. It's a partnership agreement where we work together to improve service delivery and reduce service costs for residents across Mid-Kent.

The partnership is flexible to meet the needs of each authority. This means that some shared services and projects have involved only two authorities, and some have involved all three plus an additional partner (Ashford Borough Council). Being flexible is essential in sustaining the long term future of the partnership and ensuring that the needs of each council are met.

Each council alternately acts as lead for a period of one year from September. For 2016/17 this will be Maidstone/Swale.

At a co-located meeting of the Maidstone Policy and Resources Committee, and Cabinets of Swale and Tunbridge Wells, on 4 July 2016 – it was agreed that the partnership should be rebranded under the name Mid-Kent Services (MKS).

Services in MKS

There are currently seven shared services in the partnership and one shared manager post.

  • Environmental Health (Maidstone, Swale and Tunbridge Wells)
  • Audit (Ashford, Maidstone, Swale and Tunbridge Wells)
  • Human Resources (Maidstone and Swale)
  • ICT (Maidstone, Swale and Tunbridge Wells)
  • Legal (Maidstone, Swale and Tunbridge Wells)
  • Parking Enforcement (Swale and Maidstone – shared manager post)
  • Planning Support (Maidstone, and Swale, Tunbridge Wells remains part of the Local Land Charges shared service)
  • Revenues and Benefits (Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells)

How is MKS governed?

  • MKS Board (Leaders and Chief Executives)
  • Cabinet/Committee Meetings
  • Shared Service Board Meetings
  • Individual Full Councils (where necessary)

For more information, you can email the MKS Support Officer.

A - Z of council services