Voting by proxy
Only electors who are (or will be) registered individually for a particular election or referendum are entitled to vote by proxy at that election or referendum.
In addition, the person you wish to appoint as your proxy can only act as proxy if they are (or will be) registered individually.
Before you apply
Please note the following information about voting by proxy:
- if you change your mind and wish to vote in person, you can still do so, providing that your proxy has not already voted on your behalf
- if your proxy cannot get to your polling station, they can apply to vote by post, however you will not then be able to vote in person
- your proxy must go to the polling station where you are registered to vote
- if your proxy cannot go to your polling station, they can apply to vote for you by post within the normal application deadlines
Apply for a proxy vote
Before you start
Ask your proxy’s permission before you apply.
You will need:
- your National Insurance number or any other identity document, for example a birth certificate
- the address where your proxy is registered to vote
- contact details for your proxy
You will also need to upload a photo of your handwritten signature in black ink on plain white paper.
If you cannot provide a signature or one that always looks the same, you may be able to apply for a proxy vote signature waiver within the service.
If you were planning on voting in person on election day, but now won’t be able to because you have been called away for work or you personally have a medical emergency, you may be able to apply for an emergency proxy. This means you can appoint someone to vote on your behalf.
You can only apply for an emergency proxy for one of three reasons:
- because you have been called away unexpectedly for work
- a medical emergency which must relate to you (you cannot get an emergency proxy due to a medical emergency involving a friend or relative)
- the photo ID you intended to use has become unavailable and you do not have a different form of accepted photo ID you can use
In all cases you must have become aware of this after 5pm on the sixth working day before the poll. You will need support for your application from a qualified person (full details are included on the application form).
Please contact us for further information about an emergency proxy vote.