Terms and conditions
- The current charge for a bulky waste collection is £45.60 per collection slot. A collection slot comprises up to 4 household items with a maximum of 1 fridge, freezer, or fridge freezer. Please see list of items accepted on our bulky waste page under frequently asked questions as only items on the list can be collected.
- Customers of working age and in receipt of the Band 1 Council Tax reduction scheme or of non-working age and in receipt of the Council Tax reduction scheme may book one free collection every 90 days; see free collections for more details.
- You can pay online or over the phone by debit or credit card, or you can pay by cash at the Tunbridge Wells Gateway.
3. Collectable items
- A list of items that can be collected is published on our bulky waste frequently asked questions page.
- This service is for the disposal of listed household waste only. Commercial or trade waste will not be collected, and no refund will be made to you.
4. Booking a collection
- You will be shown the available dates for collection at the time of booking.
- Items must be outside for collection by 7am on the scheduled collection day.
- Collections can take place between 7am and 5pm.
- Items must be easily visible and accessible from the front or side of your property. Our contractor is not permitted to enter your property, or any building associated with it such as garages, sheds, outbuildings etc.
- You do not have to be present at the time of collection.
- It is your responsibility to ensure items are presented safely, securely, and correctly, any items not on your booking form at the time of payment will not be collected and no refunds will be available.
- Items placed out for collection remain your responsibility until collected and must not be left anywhere that obstructs the public footpath or poses risks to others.
- Items should preferably be placed outside on the morning of collection and wherever possible soft furnishings should be covered to prevent absorption of rainfall which will affect the weight of the items. Waterlogged items may not be taken, and no refund issued.
- Each item presented for collection must be of a size, shape, and weight as to be easily carried by two persons. Excessively heavy items will be left, and no refund issued.
- Heavily soiled items must be covered to protect the operatives handling them uncovered items ill be left and no refund issued.
- Any items that are made of glass or contain broken glass or similar sharp material will not be collected. If on collection items contain glass or broken glass all items may be rejected for collection and no refund issued.
- The collection will take place on the scheduled collection date, except in the circumstances listed below at 7.1.
6. Damage to property
- The council and/or its contractor accepts no liability for damage to private property as a direct or indirect result of the collection or any failure to collect.
- You are encouraged to minimise the potential of damage to your property by ensuring that the items are left outside in a suitable location.
7. Failure to collect
- The collection will be carried out on a booked collection date, except in circumstances outside our control, for example, access issues such as closed roads, adverse weather, vehicle breakdown.
- The council reserves the right to refuse to undertake collection if you fail to meet the conditions in section 5. Return visits will incur an additional charge and no refunds will be issued.
- Where we have not made a collection for reasons such as those listed above, it will be attempted again as soon as operationally possible.
- If the collection cannot take place for any reason a calling card, where possible, will be left at the property to notify you (for example, items not accessible to collect or items unsafe to handle).
8. Cancellations, refunds, and amendments
- You may cancel the booking up to two working days before the scheduled collection date, for example, if the collection is scheduled for a Monday then you can cancel up to 5pm on the previous Thursday. In this circumstance the payment will be refunded in full.
- Refunds will take up to 10 working days to be processed from the date of cancellation.
- Cancellations and refunds will not be permitted in any situation other than those outlined in 7.1 and 8.1.
- The items booked for collection cannot be amended. Where an amendment is needed the original collection will need to be cancelled and a new collection booked. There is no guarantee this will be the same date as the original booking.
- In instances where a collection cannot take place due to the actions of the customer, for example, the items are not accessible for collection or they are unsafe to handle, the collection will not be rescheduled automatically, and the payment will not be refunded. If you wish to rebook the collection you must contact the council and a new payment will be required.
9. Free collections
- Free collections can only be booked by the person in receipt of the benefit or by their appointee. We will confirm entitlement using an electronic check.
- You may cancel the booking up to two working days before the scheduled collection date, for example if the collection is scheduled for a Monday then you can cancel up to 5pm on the previous Thursday. In these circumstances you may book another free collection without waiting 90 days. Where a collection has not been cancelled up to two working days before the scheduled collection date, you will not be able to book another free collection until at least 90 days has passed.