Terms and conditions
- The current charge for a bulky waste collection is £43.20 (including VAT) per collection slot. One collection slot can be made up of: four small items, or two medium items, or one medium item and two small items, or one large item, or one electrical item.
- Customers in receipt of a means tested benefit may book one free collection every 30 days; see free collections for more details.
- You can pay online or over the phone by debit or credit card or you can pay by cash in our Gateway office.
3. Collectable items
- A list of items that can be collected is published on our bulky waste frequently asked questions page.
- This service is for the disposal of household waste only. Commercial or trade waste will not be accepted.
4. Booking a collection
- Bulky collections are made on Mondays and Tuesdays. You will be shown the available dates for collection at the time of booking.
- Items must be outside for collection by 7am on the scheduled collection day.
- Collections can take place between 7am and 5pm.
- All items are to be made available to be collected from a position outside the building but within the property boundary, for example, a driveway. Our contractor's operatives cannot enter your home, or any buildings associated with it including garages, sheds and outbuildings or common parts of flats.
- You do not have to be present at the time of collection.
- You are responsible for ensuring adequate access to the property for the collection. For example, any gates should be left unlocked, no dogs should have access to the property and parked cars should not obstruct items.
- Items should only be placed outside on the morning of collection and wherever possible soft furnishings should be covered to prevent absorption of rainfall which will affect the weight of the items.
- Only items that have been booked for collection will be removed and they must be as described when booked, for example, if a two seater sofa is booked a three seater sofa will not be taken. Any additional items will not be taken.
- All items must be capable of being safely manoeuvred/carried by two operatives. Excessively heavy items will be left.
- Heavily soiled items must be covered to protect the operatives handling them.
- Any items that are made of glass or contain broken glass or similar sharp material will not be collected.
- All exposed nails/screws are to be removed, covered or otherwise made safe.
- The collection will take place on the scheduled collection date, except in the circumstances listed below at 7.1.
6. Damage to property
- The council accepts no liability for damage to private property as a direct or indirect result of the collection or any failure to collect.
- You are encouraged to minimise the potential of damage to your property by ensuring that the items are left outside in a suitable location.
7. Failure to collect
- The collection will be made on the scheduled collection date, except in circumstances outside our control, for example, access issues such as closed roads, adverse weather, vehicle breakdown.
- The council reserves the right to refuse to undertake collection if you fail to meet the conditions in section 5. Return visits will incur an additional charge.
- Where we have not made a collection for reasons such as those listed above, it will be attempted again as soon as operationally possible.
- If the collection cannot take place for any reason a calling card, where possible, will be left at the property to notify you (for example, items not accessible to collect or items unsafe to handle).
8. Cancellations, refunds and amendments
- You may cancel the booking up to two working days before the scheduled collection date, for example, if the collection is scheduled for a Monday then you can cancel up to 5pm on the previous Thursday. In this circumstance the payment will be refunded in full.
- Refunds will take up to 10 working days to be processed from the date of cancellation.
- Cancellations and refunds will not be permitted in any situation other than those outlined in 7.1 and 8.1.
- The items booked for collection and the collection date cannot be amended. Where an amendment is needed the original collection will need to be cancelled and a new collection booked.
- In instances where a collection cannot take place due to the actions of the customer, for example, the items are not accessible for collection or they are unsafe to handle, the collection will not be rescheduled automatically and the payment will not be refunded. If you wish to rebook the collection you must contact the council and a new payment will be required.
9. Free collections
- If you are in receipt of one or more of the following means tested benefits, you may book one free collection slot every 30 days:
- Council Tax Support
- Housing Benefit
- Job Seekers Allowance (income based only)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Pension Credit
- Income Support
- Universal Credit
- Where you are in receipt of Council Tax Support or Housing Benefit we will confirm entitlement using an electronic look up. If you are in receipt of other means tested benefits, you will be required to provide a letter confirming entitlement dated within the last 90 days at the time of booking.
- Where proof of entitlement cannot be confirmed we reserve the right to cancel a booking.
- You may cancel the booking up to two working days before the scheduled collection date, for example if the collection is scheduled for a Monday then you can cancel up to 5pm on the previous Thursday. In these circumstances you may book another free collection without waiting 30 days.
- Where a collection has not been cancelled up to two working days before the scheduled collection date, you will not be able to book another free collection until 30 days has passed.