Skip to main content

Register a death

All deaths must be registered with a registrar of births and deaths in the area that the death occurred. Please use the Kent County Council (KCC) website to find a Register office.

Find a Register Office

Tell Us Once

Tell Us Once (TUO) is a free service which enables you to report a death to most government services in one report. The report is then distributed to central and local government services securely and confidentially, so that you don't have to inform services separately.

You can find information about how to use the Tell Us Once service on the GOV.UK website.

Find out more on GOV.UK

Further information

Here is a three minute video that explains the service:

The organisations that will receive your Tell Us Once report include:

  • local council services such as housing, housing benefit, council tax, Blue Badge, and electoral registration
  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for personal tax and to update regarding Child Benefit and Tax Credits claims (contact HMRC separately for business taxes, like VAT)
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to update benefits information for example: State Pension, Universal Credit
  • Passport Office to cancel a British passport
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to cancel a driving licence and to remove registered keeper details, possibly for up to five vehicles
  • Public Sector or Armed Forces Pension Schemes to update pension records