Skip to main content

Pavement licences for outdoor seating

Tables and Chairs licences

To assist hospitality businesses with re-opening and to adapt to social distancing requirements, in line with government guidance, the Council has temporarily relaxed the requirements to place new seating, tables and chairs on pavements.

Applications for pavement licences are now being overseen by Tunbridge Wells Borough Council, (rather than Kent County Council) and there is no longer a requirement to apply for formal planning permission. The licence can remain in place for up to a year, but are not allowed to extend beyond 30th September 2021.

In order to apply for the licence, a business must use (or propose to use) premises for the sale of food or drink for consumption (on or off the premises). Businesses that are eligible include: public houses, cafes, bars, restaurants, snack bars, coffee shops and ice cream parlours (including where such uses form an ancillary aspect of another use e.g. supermarkets/entertainment venues which sell food or drink).

The licence permits the business to place furniture on highway owned land to sell or serve food or drink and/or allow it to be used by people for the consumption of food or drink supplied from, or in connection with the use of the premises.

Please submit applications via the Licensing Hub on the Sevenoaks District Council website.

You will need to complete and display a notice advertising your application and this should be displayed on your premises from the day the application is submitted, for a period of 7 days.  The licence application fee is £100. You will need to upload your plans alongside your licence application.

Further information about tables and chairs licences is available on the government’s Guidance: pavement licences (outdoor seating proposal) webpage.