Skip to main content

Businesses required to remain closed

Following the introduction of the government roadmap, certain businesses have been permitted to re-open as of the 29 March, with further businesses permitted to open to the public from 12 April. However, to reduce social contact, some businesses must remain closed, or follow restrictions on how they provide goods and services.

For further information on which businesses are currently permitted to re-open, please refer to our businesses permitted to re-open page.


All retail is now permitted to re-open. However, these businesses should take steps to ensure they are Covid-19 secure, including where possible, providing services remotely or virtually. Please refer to the Businesses permitted to re-open page for further information.


The following hospitality venues are required to close the indoor parts of their premises:

  • restaurants
  • pubs
  • bars, including those in hotels and members’ clubs
  • social clubs
  • cafes and canteens, excluding those exempted below

Venues are prohibited from providing smoking equipment, such as shisha pipes, for use on the premises.
Closed premises can continue to provide:

  • Food and drink, including alcohol on a takeaway basis. Customers can enter the premises to place and collect the order. Or, this can be provided through a drive through, as well as click and collect basis and delivery.
  • Venues must not offer alcoholic beverages if their licence does not already permit.

Hospitality venues providing food and drink for consumption off the premises are not permitted to allow customers to consume from any adjacent seating to the premises.


Self-contained holiday accommodation may open.
All other holiday accommodation must remain closed. These venues can provide accommodation for a person in exceptional circumstances, please refer to the government website for further details.

Personal care facilities and close contact services

Personal care facilities and close contact services may open. Please refer to our businesses permitted to re-open page for further details.

Entertainment and tourism

The following businesses and venues must remain closed:

  • nightclubs, dance halls and discotheques
  • indoor play areas including soft play centres and area and indoor inflatable and trampolining parks (except for use by persons with a disability)
  • casinos
  • bingo halls
  • bowling alleys
  • snooker and pool halls (except for elite sportspersons)
  • amusement arcades and adult gaming centres
  • escape rooms
  • concert halls and theatres (except for formal education and training, rehearsal or broadcasting a performance) - outdoor halls and theatres must also remain closed, except for drive in
  • cinemas, including outdoor cinemas (except for drive-in)
  • circuses (except for drive-in)
  • sexual entertainment venues and hostess bars

Other indoor attractions must remain closed, but are able to open their outdoor attractions and spaces. Please refer to our Businesses permitted to re-open page for further information.

Performing arts

Performing arts venues must remain closed to the public, with the exception of drive-in venues. Theatres and concert halls can continue to be used for formal education and training, rehearsals, and performances without an audience for broadcast or recording purposes. These venues can also be used for the purposes of government pilots.

Business events

Exhibition and conference centres must not host conferences, exhibitions, trade shows, private dining events or banquets.

Meetings for work, training or education purposes should not take place unless the event cannot be delayed, where it cannot reasonably be conducted from home, and if social distancing can be maintained and the venue can demonstrate it has followed COVID-19 guidance.

Sports and leisure

Indoor and outdoor sports and leisure facilities can open. However steam rooms and saunas must remain closed. Indoor group classes must not go ahead unless they form children’s sports, including supervised activities for children, or are part of formal education or training. Disabled sport, both indoor and outdoor, may also take place.

This page will continue to be updated in line with the Government Roadmap. For further information, please contact