Skip to main content

Jubilee Street Parties

The Queen's Platinum Jubilee 2022

Sunday 6 February 2022 marked 70 years since Her Majesty The Queen’s accession to the throne. Queen Elizabeth II is the longest reigning British monarch and the longest-serving female head of state in history.

To celebrate this unprecedented anniversary, events and initiatives will take place throughout the year, culminating in a four day UK bank holiday weekend from Thursday 2nd to Sunday 5th June. The bank holiday will provide an opportunity for communities and people throughout the United Kingdom to come together to celebrate the historic milestone.

The four days of celebrations will include public events and community activities, as well as national moments of reflection on The Queen’s 70 years of service.

Visit the official web site of the British Royal Family for information about national events

If you are planning to organise a community Street Party and intend to close your road you will need to apply to Kent County Council for a road closure See important information for event organisers including how to arrange a street party along with the application form.

Please note that the deadline for applications of 31 March 2022.

Questions & Answers

Do I need insurance cover?

Insurance is not required provided your street party is a small, private event only open to residents and not advertised to the general public however as an organiser we do recommend you consider it.

Public liability insurance covers against accidental injuries to third parties (other people) and damage to property. Public liability insurance costs can vary depending on the activities covered.

Do I need to do a risk assessment?

You will be asked to complete a risk assessment for your street party as it will enable you to think about how you can minimise risks and have a back-up plan, you will need to submit this with your application to KCC.

Do I need an alcohol licence?

Licences are only required if alcohol is sold. At a private party, sharing drinks with your neighbours does not require a licence. If you did want to sell alcohol, you need a Temporary Event Notice (TENS) Temporary event notices (

Do I need an entertainment licence?

you will not need an entertainment licence if:

  • Your street party is private for residents only
  • The music is not advertised in advance to attract people (live or recorded)
  • You are not making money

Do I need a permit to serve food?

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) has confirmed that one-off events such as street parties aren’t usually considered food businesses, so there are no forms to fill in. However, you must ensure that any food provided is safe to eat.

Do I need to clean up after?

You will need to clean up after your street party. Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling. Take your rubbish and recycling home. If you have too much recycling to store, take it to your local recycling site. Do not leave bin bags on the streets as this may attract foxes and vermin.

If you have any questions regarding organising an event in Tunbridge Wells please email