Skip to main content

Public Spaces Protection Orders 2018

Following extensive consultation, the council introduced Public Spaces Protection Orders (PSPOs) on Tuesday 25 September 2018.

The Orders will be in place for the maximum allowable three years.

Signs have been installed in key locations across the borough and the published Orders (and maps clearly showing the restricted areas) are available for download:

Failing to comply with the PSPO may lead to a fine or a Fixed Penalty Notice being issued.

What do the Orders mean?

The Orders in place for the centre of Royal Tunbridge Wells will prohibit begging and/or rough sleeping where there is associated anti-social behaviour or where the person is not engaging with support services.

Councillor Lynne Weatherly, Communities & Wellbeing portfolio holder said:

The PSPOs take into account the feedback received during the consultation the council carried out when they were first proposed. From the very start of this process we have said that we have no desire to penalise people who are already in difficult circumstances, we will be sensitive to those who need support.

Amplified music

Where amplified music is being played in the town centre, it may be prohibited if the council receives a complaint about it and deems the volume to be causing an unreasonable disturbance.


The PSPO prohibits the use of psychoactive substances. The legislation also covers alcohol consumption in the area of Southborough previously covered by the Alcohol Control Zone, as well as St John’s and Grosvenor and Hilbert parks.

Information for dog owners

The council is asking dog owners to be aware that from the same date the penalty for dog fouling will increase to £100 across the borough.

In addition, dogs will no longer be allowed in any of the children’s play areas within our parks and dog walkers using St Mark’s Recreation Ground or the Neville Ground must keep dogs on a lead at all times.

Further information

If you have any queries please contact the Community Safety team at

Some documents on this page may not be in an accessible format. If you require any documents in an accessible format, please complete our online form to request them.