The Council has enacted its business continuity plans and is redeploying staff to priority services.

Please check our Coronavirus updates page for the latest information about Council services.

Housing for Young People

If you are facing homelessness and are currently living at home with parents or carers, remaining in the family home while you plan a move is usually the best solution, providing it is safe for you to do so.

The Council’s housing options team can provide advice on the different types of accommodation you could consider. However, we will always try to prevent people becoming homeless in the first place and will ask you about your current housing situation and why you may be losing your home.

We often speak to family and friends to explain that whilst we can provide help to assist you in finding somewhere else to live, it is likely to take you quite some time to do so, so the longer you can stay at home, the better. We also contact landlords on behalf of our customers to discuss tenancy issues, so that we can help people avoid being evicted.

If you do need to find alternative accommodation, you can consider the following options:

  • privately rented accommodation
  • supported housing
  • social rented housing and;
  • assisted home ownership

The Homelessness Act 2017 means that councils will be doing even more to help prevent homelessness. If you are in need of advice and help with your housing situation, please contact us on 01892 525 121 or via We will discuss with you the reasons why you’re facing homelessness, assess your housing needs and organise a personalised housing action plan with actions that both you and the Council can take to prevent your homelessness, or to help you find somewhere else to live.

This is where you rent a property from a private landlord or letting agent. If you’re under 35 years old and claiming a welfare benefit, you are only entitled to claim local housing allowance (housing benefit) for the ‘single room rate’.

You will usually need to pay a month’s rent in advance and a month to six weeks’ rent as a deposit. The Council has two schemes for people who are facing homelessness and have a local connection to this Borough.

For people who are in ‘priority need’ under the homelessness legislation (for example, you have dependent children, or significant health problems), we can provide an interest free loan for a deposit and rent in advance for a suitable private rental. You will repay this to us over an affordable period, and at the end of the tenancy, provided you have repaid the amount loaned to you and there are no deductions taken out of the deposit for rent arrears or damage,  the deposit is yours to use on another private rental in the future.

For single people with no dependent children or health problems, we have a rent deposit guarantee scheme. Instead of a payment being made to the landlord, the Council provides a ‘bond’ or guarantee that we will pay up to six weeks’ rent if the tenant causes damage or builds up rent arrears. If we have to pay out against a deposit guarantee, we will recharge the tenant for the full amount.

You can look for privately rented accommodation online or in local newspapers such as The Courier or the Friday Ad.

This is where you live in a flat or room in a shared house where support is provided to help you sustain your tenancy and to help you where needed in other areas of your life such as finding employment, training or education.

See our section on supported housing for details of local projects you can approach and also the Supporting People project run by Kent County Council.

This is where you rent from a housing association. Tunbridge Wells Borough Council does not own any permanent social rented housing, but we do maintain a housing register, which is a waiting list for people in housing need and work with housing associations who own properties in this Borough. Only a limited number of social rented homes become available every year, and there are always lots of people waiting for this kind of accommodation, so it can take a very long time to get housed through the register. In fact, some applicants will never get housed, which is why if you do choose to apply to join the register, it’s best to pursue other housing options at the same time.

You can apply to join the housing register online, or you can go into Tunbridge Wells Gateway for help in making the application.

This may be an option for you if you’re working and in receipt of a reasonable income. There are various options, such as ‘part rent, part buy’ and intermediate market rent. Moat housing association manage assisted home ownership for Kent.

< previous next >
A - Z of council services