Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Some of our services have temporarily stopped or changed. See our Changes to Council services page for services’ status and our Coronavirus updates section for latest information.


If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, then our Help with Homelessness online assessment tool can provide you with guidance about your next steps.

To refer yourself or someone else for housing advice please use our online form. You will need an email address to make the referral, if you don't have an email account you can view instructions on how to create one. You can also contact us by telephone on 01892 526 121 .

It is important that you seek advice from us as soon as possible, we will do our best to help prevent you from losing your home and the more time we have to work with you the better.

We will assess your housing needs, organise a housing action plan with actions that both you and the Council can take to prevent your homelessness, or to help you find somewhere else to live.

If you have a personal housing action plan already and wish to amend it, you can do this here.

If you are from our Borough and are sleeping rough, or at risk of having to do so, please contact the Council for advice as soon as possible, on 01892 523121 or via We will be able to give you advice on your situation and put together a personalised housing action plan with actions for you and the Council to take to help you find somewhere to live.

We may talk to you about a referral to supported housing such as Colebrook Road hostel or The Bridge Trust.

Or discuss renting privately with you. We have a rent deposit guarantee scheme that you may be eligible for.

If you come from another area, whilst you can contact us for advice, you may wish to contact your local council for advice on your situation in the first instance.

TW Churches Street Teams
The Street Teams give out food on the Ground Floor level of the multi-storey car park at Crescent Road, Tunbridge wells. They have approximately 58 volunteers covering seven nights per week. The majority of the food and beverages provided to the homeless each night are supplied as donations.

The Crisis Recovery Day Centre
The day centre offers support to people with alcohol and drug addictions, people who are homeless and those who are otherwise disadvantaged. The Day Centre is open on Mondays between 11:30 and 1:30pm. They provide meals, clothes, shower and toilet facilities.
United Reform Church, Crisis Recovery Day Centre, 1 Mount Ephraim, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN4 8AE.
Telephone: 01892 510520

St Augustine’s Church
Opposite the entrance to Crescent Road car park, a bag of food can be provided weekly on Fridays at 3pm.

Salvation Army
The Salvation Army, Tunbridge Wells Corps, is based on Bayhall Road (near the Royal Oak Pub). On Wednesdays and Thursdays before midday they offer hot meals, clothing and toiletries. The Salvation Army also has a shower that can be used.

Their Kent outreach service works directly with people sleeping rough or who are without accommodation. They operate a 24-hour on call service through their outreach team.

Shelter is a national charity that campaigns for homeless people’s rights. They have a free phone advice line and can advise people on issues regarding housing.

Soup Bowls
Tuesday and Thursday 12.30pm - 1.30pm at the Church of Christ, Commercial Road (Off Camden Road)
Friday 12.30pm - 1.30pm at the United Reformed Church, Grosvenor Road (opposite the Job Centre)

The Citizens Advice Bureau
The CAB is a national organisation that gives independent advice on a wide range of issues such as welfare benefits and housing. If you disagree with a decision that the Council has made regarding your homeless application the CAB may be able to help you to request a review of the decision and give you legal advice. They can also offer advice over the telephone and have advisors at the Tunbridge Wells Gateway.

Porchlights Kent outreach service work directly with people sleeping rough or who are without accommodation.

They operate a 24-hour on call service, contact Porchlight using their helpline 0800 567 7699. This call is free from landlines and while calls from mobiles will be charged, Porchlight will call mobile users back.

Alternatively you can report someone sleeping on the streets by using porchlights online form, please give as much information as possible to help the team.

Porchlight will try and help that person find somewhere to live.

There are various vulnerable groups of homeless people who come into contact with different statutory and voluntary agencies. These agencies all have their separate legislation and priorities to work to. To ensure that vulnerable groups receive co-ordinated assistance a number of protocols have been developed by Kent Mental Health teams and the local authority housing services.

These aim to adopt a client centred approach and prevent future homelessness by addressing support needs at the earliest opportunity.

< previous next >
A - Z of council services