Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Some of our services have temporarily stopped or changed. See our Changes to Council services page for services’ status and our Coronavirus updates section for latest information.

Universal Credit

The government is making changes to simplify the benefits system. Only one claim will need to be made, and only one payment received. The payment will be monthly in arrears. Advice and support is available should you want advice on budgeting your money over the month.

When will this happen?

  • From November 2018 - Full Digital Service for all new claimants
  • 2018 - 2022 Change over of existing JSA, ESA and Income Support claimants to Universal Credit

Who will be affected?

Universal Credit will affect households of working age who claim in- work and out of work benefits, including Income Support, Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance, Housing Benefit, Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit.

What is Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. It’s paid monthly

You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income or out of work.

Whether you can claim Universal Credit depends on where you live and your circumstances.

Advice from GOV.UK


A - Z of council services