Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Some of our services have temporarily stopped or changed. See our Changes to Council services page for services’ status and our Coronavirus updates section for latest information.

Covid-19: Health and Safety

You can find the latest government information and advice on COVID-19 (including working safely) on the government's "Coronavirus (COVID‑19)" web-page.

To reduce social contact, the government has required (by law) that certain businesses and venues in England close to members of the public. A full list of businesses required to close (as well as exemptions to the requirement) can be found on the government's "Closing certain businesses and venues in England" web-page.

COVID-19 disease in workers, and measures to protect workers from COVID-19, can be investigated under health and safety legislation.

If you believe that one of your employees has contracted COVID-19 whilst at work, then this should be reported at RIDDOR reporting of COVID-19.

Please note that the enforcement of health and safety legislation in England is divided (principally) into: -

  1. High risk employment activities (such as factories, building sites, schools and hospitals) - where the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) are the enforcing authority
  2. Low risk employment activities (such as warehouses, offices, shops, pubs and restaurants) - where Environmental Health at the local authority are the enforcing authority

(Check that you have the correct enforcing authority at Is HSE the correct enforcing authority for you?.

If you wish to raise a health and safety concern with the HSE, then this can be done through their "Reporting a health and safety issue" page.

If you would like further information or if you wish to raise a concern with the local authority, please contact Mid Kent Environmental Health on: - 01622 602450 or

A - Z of council services