Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Some of our services have temporarily stopped or changed. See our Changes to Council services page for services’ status and our Coronavirus updates section for latest information.

Unauthorised Encampments Privacy Notice

Details of what information we collect from you, what we do with it and who it might be shared with

Who we are?

Tunbridge Wells Borough Council
Mount Pleasant Road
Royal Tunbridge Wells

Tel: 01892 526121

How do we collect information from you?

We collect information from you when you visit the Tunbridge Wells Borough Council website. Also, when you contact us in writing, provide evidence, speak to us on the phone, contact us by email or by any other type of electronic communication, or talk to us face to face.

What types of information do we collect from you?

We collect personal information about you such as your name and address as well as similar details of other people within your caravan such as family members travelling with you. Sometimes we collect other information you may feel is sensitive to you. This may be health information and/or the education status of any children travelling with you, for example.

Our legal basis for using your information is:

Compliance with a legal obligation.

How we will use your information

We have a statutory duty to assess any welfare needs you may have. The Central Government Statutory Guidance legally requires us to make these assessments before we take action against you for trespassing on public land. In order for us to do this, you must provide your personal information to us.

We use the information you provide to assess the appropriateness of enforcing an eviction of unauthorised encampments from our land, from Parish or Town Council land or from Tunbridge Wells Common land. We won't use it for any other purposes without your consent, or without telling you first.

Sometimes we have to give it to other authorities, organisations or people. This would be for the prevention or detection of crime, or because of legal matters, for example. We don't need your consent to do this, but if we can, we'll let you know if we've passed your information on.

Who has access to your information?

Kent Police, Kent County Council Education services, Adult and Child Social Services, and the Crown Prosecution Service may also use your information, but only on our instructions. They won’t use it for any other reasons than assessing your welfare or enforcing an eviction.

You can view their privacy information here:

What are your rights in relation to the personal data we process?
  • Access – you can request copies of any of your personal information that is held by the Council.
  • Rectification – you can ask us to correct any incorrect information.
  • Deletion – you can ask us to delete your personal information. The Council can refuse to delete information if we have a lawful reason to keep this.
  • Portability – you can ask us to transfer your personal data to different services or to you.
  • Right to object or restrict processing – you have the right to object to how your data is being used and how it is going to be used in the future.
  • Right to prevent automatic decisions – you have the right to challenge a decision that affects you that has been made automatically without human intervention, for example an online form with an instant decision.
How long will we keep your information for?

We will only keep your information for as long as we need it. Once we no longer need it, we will keep it for a set period (a retention period) but not use it. When the retention period expires we will delete your information from our records.

Our Transparency and Privacy Policy explains our Retention Schedule for personal information.

What security precautions are in place to protect the loss, misuse or alteration of your information?

We are strongly committed to data security and will take reasonable and appropriate steps to protect your personal information from unauthorised access, loss, misuse, alteration or corruption. We have put in place physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard the information you provide to us.

Keeping your data up to date

We want to ensure any information we hold is accurate. You can help us by promptly informing us of any changes to the information we hold about you.

Details of any automated decision processes

There are no automated decisions in this process.

Under 13s

If you are accessing online services and are aged 13 or under‚ please get your parent or guardian's permission beforehand, whenever you provide us with personal information.


Cookies are small text files which identify your computer to our servers. They are used to improve the user experience. Our Cookies and Privacy Policy explains what cookies we use and how you can manage them.


If you would like to make a complaint regarding the use of your personal data you can contact our Data Protection Officer:

Independent Advice

For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data sharing issues, you can contact the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) at:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number.

Alternatively, you could visit the Information Commissioner's Office website, or email

A - Z of council services