Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Some of our services have temporarily stopped or changed. See our Changes to Council services page for services’ status and our Coronavirus updates section for latest information.

Scrap Metal

Every scrap metal dealer is required to have a licence. It is a criminal offense to operate without one.

There are two types of licence you can apply for:

  1. scrap metal sites
  2. scrap metal collections

Please see the guidance notes for full details of guidelines and restrictions.

You must keep your records for 3 years and allow the council or police to inspect your premises and records if asked.

Applications for either a scrap metal site or a scrap metal collectors licence can be made online

Postal Applications

If you wish to post your application please complete the application form for a scrap metal licence and return it to:

Licensing Partnership, P.O. Box 182, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN13 1GP

You will need to pay the correct fee.

Ways to Pay

Card Payments

You can pay by card over the phone  on:
01732 227 004

Cheque Payments

Unfortunately we are not in a position, at present or for the foreseeable future, to process cheques due to the health risks presented by Covid-19.

You can post a cheque to us. Please make all cheques payable to Sevenoaks District Council.

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)

The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) is preparing to provide basic disclosure checks for England and Wales.

From 31 January 2018 if you need a basic check for a job in England and Wales, you should apply to Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).  (Individuals in England and Wales can continue to use Disclosure Scotland for basic checks until 31st January 2018)

If you are an individual applying for your own basic check you will be able to use the new online application route.

It is important that you apply to the right organisation for your basic check, so that the correct Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) rules are applied. There is a risk of legal action if incorrect ROA rules are applied and impact a recruitment decision.

If you have any questions, please contact

Changes to Your Licence

You need to let us know about changes such as your name, address, change of business premises or if you have stopped dealing with scrap metal.

You may need to pay a fee for certain changes.

Renew Your Licence

You will need to contact us when your licence is due for renewal.

You will need to pay a fee to renew your licence.

Site Licence – Grant (3 years)£485
Site Licence - Renewal (3 years)£410
Collectors Licence Grant/renewal (3 years)£295
Minor administrative change to licence£32
Variation - change of site manager£175
Variation from collector to site licence£210
Variation from site to collector licence£135
< previous next >
A - Z of council services