Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Some of our services have temporarily stopped or changed. See our Changes to Council services page for services’ status and our Coronavirus updates section for latest information.

Premises Licence

A Premises Licence allows the premises to be used for one or more licensable activities. It is illegal to carry out a licensable activity without a Premises Licence, unless the planned activity qualifies as a temporary event, or it is a qualifying club activity authorised by a Club Premises Certificate.

Licensable activities include:

  • Selling alcohol
  • Serving hot food and drinks between 11pm and 5am

You’ll also need a licence if you provide the following types of entertainment:

  • theatrical performance
  • showing a film
  • indoor sporting event
  • boxing or wrestling (indoor or outdoor)
  • live music
  • recorded music
  • dance
  • facilities for making music
  • dancing facilities

Variation of a Premises Licence

You can apply to make changes to an existing premises license including non-substantial changes to the structure or layout of a premises, adding late night refreshment or regulated entertainment (such as live music, performance of plays or film exhibitions), changes to licensed hours or revisions and removals and additions of conditions.

Apply to make a variation to an existing Premises Licence

Minor Variation of a Premises Licence

It is possible to make small changes to an existing premises licence through the minor variation process, which is cheaper, easier and quicker than the full variation process. A minor variation is defined as one that could not impact adversely on any of the four licensing objectives: The prevention of crime and disorder; public safety; the prevention of public nuisance; and the protection of children from harm.

However, changes to layout should be referred to the full variation process if they could potentially have an adverse impact of the promotion of the licensing objectives, for example by:

  • Increasing the capacity for drinking on the premises;
  • Affecting access between the public part of the premises and the rest of the premises or the street or public way, for instance, block emergency exits or routes to emergency exits; or
  • Impeding the effective operation of a noise reduction measure such as an acoustic lobby.

The Authority will consider each application on a case by case basis and in light of any license conditions put forward by the applicant.

Apply to make a minor variation to an existing Premises Licence

Generally, the person or body who plans to carry on the business at the premises will make the application for a licence. All applicants must be aged 18 or over.

The applicant will be required to advertise the application and send a copy to the Fire Authority and Police. Interested parties may then send comments on the application to Tunbridge Wells Borough Council.

Provisional Statement

You can also apply for a Provisional Statement to seek confirmation as to whether a premises under construction (or being substantially altered) would be granted a premises licence upon completion of the building works and if so, what conditions would be imposed.

The holder of the provisional statement would need to apply to the Council for a Premises Licence once the works are completed.

Disapplication of Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)

If alcohol is being served, it is mandatory to have a Designated Premises Supervisor. However, for community premises such as village halls etc. which are run by a committee, this may not be necessary. You can apply to have the need for a DPS to be dis-applied.

A Premises Licence, unless required for a specified limited period, will continue until revoked or surrendered.

However, you are required to pay an annual fee. This fee will support the costs of the licensing inspection system and the enforcement of the regime.


You can advise us of a change of name or address by using our online form.


You can advise us of a change of name or address post. Download, complete and return the form below to the address on the form. Please read the form carefully and ensure the procedures noted are carried out.

Notification of change of name or address (PDF File - 208.4 KB)

You’ll be charged a fee that’s based on the rateable value of the property.

If your premises doesn’t have a rateable value it will fall into the lowest fee band.

The fees are set by the Home Office. More information can be found on the website.

Please note - there are additional fees for exceptionally large venues.

New Application

Rateable Value Band Charge
No rateable value to £4,300



£4,301 to £33,000



£33,001 to £87,000



£87,0001 to £125,000



£125,001 plus



Annual Charge

Band Charge











Other Fees



Replacement of Premises Licence or Summary


Application for a Provisional Statement


Application to change individual specified as DPS


Application for transfer of Premises Licence


Application to vary premises licence at community premises to include alternative licence condition


Application for minor variation


Interim authority notice following death etc. of licence holder


Right of freeholder etc. to be notified of licencing matters


< previous next >
A - Z of council services