Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Some of our services have temporarily stopped or changed. See our Changes to Council services page for services’ status and our Coronavirus updates section for latest information.

Dangerous Wild Animals (DWA)

The keeping of certain species of wild animals is controlled by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 & Dangerous wild animals act 1976 modification order 1984. No person may keep any dangerous wild animal without first obtaining a licence from us. Zoos, pet shops and circuses are exempt from this type of licence as these types of premises require separate licensing conditions.

To apply for a licence, you must:

  • Be over 18 years old
  • Be able to care for and take responsibility for the animal or animals in your care
  • Have never been disqualified from keeping any dangerous wild animal

We take any previous offences relating to either the mistreatment of or the negligence in care of animals very seriously.

We advise applicants to discuss their need for a licence prior to completing an application, with a member of the Animal Licensing team.

The cost of a new exotic, dangerous or wild animal licence is £646.

There may be extra costs to pay for veterinary inspections carried out as part of the application. These vary in price depending on which surgery carries out the inspection and are paid directly to them.

This licence needs to be renewed every 2 years.

A - Z of council services